This site will help anyone who has had their license plate stolen. My license plate was stolen while I was away on a business trip, 700 miles from home. It was confusing to say the least and when I called my auto club they were no help at all. My next call was to 911 and the steps you need to take to get back on the road are listed on this site. You will also find ways to prevent this from ever happening again. The methods I mention are tried and true, low cost, and will give you one less thing to worry about while away from home or parked at your local shopping mall.
Most automotive license plates are stolen for one of the following reasons:
- A car thief needs an out-of-state plate to get the car he just stole across state lines.
- To commit traffic violations. If they want to break the laws in states where traffic cameras are installed they can steal a plate and run red lights, or commit other traffic violations with immunity. If this happens be prepared for a visit or call from the local police department.
- Kids clowning around, I was in Myrtle Beach during spring break and several thought it might have been teens on a scavenger hunt.
- Gas and go artists. These people steal a plate, then gas up and leave without paying. This way the camera catches YOUR plate, not theirs. Expect a call from the local police department if this happens.
My Lexus dealer sent a new plate overnight mail, however there were several other plate thefts the next night at the hotel we were staying at. Each night I took the plate off and put it in the trunk. Prior to receiving the new plate, I was stopped several times by local police. If I had not secured another plate I could have been stopped many times on the long trip home. Whether it’s the Lexus or another model, the dealership may not always be able to send a plate. You may have to look into other alternatives such as printing a temporary plate until you can get a replacement.
Caution: Report the theft immediately to the local police department. It is illegal to drive without a license. More on this on steps to take immediately.
- Steps to take immediately (Step-by-step instructions)
- Prevention (Easy and cost effective ways to protect your plate)
- Resources (Other helpful information)
- Photo gallery (Products, police reports, etc.)
- About us (Contact information)
Thank you for your very helpful website about what to do when your license plate is stolen. Mine was stolen yesterday and I had no idea what to do. Your website pointed me in the right direction. I couldn't find the right area on DMV website but your website had the link to get me there. This is more of a headache than I initially thought it would be. But hopefully it all works out. Lindsey